This portal brings together the latest medical literature and training resources addressing the safe and optimal delivery of ultrasound services during the rapidly evolving COVID-19 crisis. These resources include protocols for protecting personnel, disinfecting equipment, safely administering ultrasound contrast or enhancing agents, and appropriately imaging the heart, lungs and other organ systems in highly vulnerable patients.
Ultrasound can provide a safe and reliable imaging option for Covid-19 patients, and the addition of an ultrasound enhancing agent may be essential for evaluating heart and lung function.
Here you can find protocols for protecting personnel, disinfecting equipment, safely administering ultrasound contrast or enhancing agents, and appropriately imaging these highly vulnerable patients. Additional submissions may be sent to email@example.com.
ICUS supports the global ultrasound community during this rapidly evolving global crisis and extends heartfelt wishes for your safety and health as we come together to defeat this deadly virus.
- Benefits, open questions and challenges of the use of ultrasound in the COVID-19 pandemic era: The views of international experts – European Journal of Ultrasound – Ultraschall in der Medizin
- Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Vaccination Associated Axillary Adenopathy: Imaging Findings and Follow-Up Recommendations in 23 Women – American Journal of Roentgenology
- American Society of Echocardiography Statement on Protection of Patients and Echocardiography Service Providers During the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Outbreak: Endorsed by the American College of Cardiology
- Specific Considerations for Sonographers When Performing Echocardiography during the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Outbreak: Supplement to the American Society of Echocardiography Statement
- Echocardiography During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Guidance from the Canadian Society of Echocardiography (CSE)
- British Society of Echocardiography (BSE) – guidance for echocardiography with COVID-19
- WEBINAR: Practical Tips for Echo Labs During the COVID-10 Pandemic – CME (Rush University Medical Center)
- Researchers use ultrasound technique to accurately localize cardiac arrhythmias
- Complete Guide to CARDIAC Ultrasound in COVID-19 (Coronavirus) from Vi Am Dinh, MD FACEP RDMS RDCS
- Registry on Performance of contrast echocardiography in confirmed COVID-19 patients – EACVI
- WEBINAR: Ultrasound Enhancing Agents In the COVID-19 Era: Protocols, Safety, & Impact – Physician CME
- WEBINAR: Ultrasound Enhancing Agents In the COVID-19 Era: Protocols, Safety, & Impact – SDMS CME
- Expecting the unexpected: Echo laboratory preparedness in the time of COVID‐19 – Echocardiography
- VIDEO: Lung Ultrasound: Nuts & Bolts & COVID-19 — Rachel Liu, MD, FAIUM, FACEP, Yale University School of Medicine, explains how to perform a basic lung ultrasound, showing lung findings which may suggest infection (including COVID), and describing the role of lung ultrasound in clinical care for COVID patients.
In this video, Rachel Liu, MD, FAIUM, FACEP, Department of Emergency Medicine at Yale University School of Medicine and Director of POCUS Education, explains how to perform a basic lung ultrasound, shows lung findings which may suggest infection (including COVID), and describes the role of lung ultrasound in clinical care for COVID patients.
- WEBINAR: Lung Ultrasound in the COVID-19 Era — With COVID-19 patients overloading the global health care system, ultrasound offers a reliable and easy-to-use imaging solution that often is of great benefit in COVID-19 settings. This EFSUMB Webinar will illustrate the clinical manifestations of COVID-19, how ultrasound may be used to image the lungs, and the typical ultrasound lung findings in COVID-19 patients. Participants will learn the basics to help them use ultrasound to assess lung involvement in COVID-19 patients.
- Proposal for International Standardization of the Use of Lung Ultrasound for Patients With COVID‐19; A Simple, Quantitative, Reproducible Method — Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine (JUM) – March 30, 2020
- Lung Ultrasound Modules — Calgary Internal Medicine Ultrasound
This module will go over basic lung ultrasound techniques and expected normal findings
This module will cover B lines, their identification and interpretation
This module will discuss the evaluation of pleural effusion using point-of-care ultrasound
- A message from the World Interactive Network Focused On Critical UltraSound — Giovanni Volpicelli discusses ultrasound in diagnosis, monitoring and prognosis of COVID-19
The great Giovanni Volpicelli opens an ultrasound world in the field of Covid infection. DIagnosis, monitoring and prognosis. Is it possible?
El gran Giovanni Volpicelli nos abre un mundo ecográfico en el terreno de la infección por Covid-19.Diagnóstico, monitorización y pronóstico. ¿Es posible?
- Lung Ultrasound in COVID-19 Pandemic from WINFOCUS
- Echo/Lung Transthoracic Echo Protocol – Samer Sayyed, MD; University of Nebraska
- Lung Ultrasound in Children With COVID-19 – Marco Denina, et al, Journal of the American Academy of pediatrics
- Contrast‐Enhanced Ultrasound in Patients With COVID‐19 — Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine Pneumonia, Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome, or Something Else?
- Contrast-Enhanced Ultrasound Can Pinpoint Lung Findings Unique to COVID-19 — Diagnostic Imaging, By Whitney J. Palmer
- Contrast ultrasound reveals unique COVID-19 lung findings — AuntMinnie, By Theresa Pablos
- Global study shows ultrasound’s strength for COVID-19 – AuntMinnie, By Theresa Pablos
- Lung Ultrasound Examination Protocol – Dr. Konrad Stock, MRI TUM
- Ultrasound has similar accuracy to CT for COVID-19 – Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology
- How Is COVID ‐19 Changing Lung Ultrasound? A Survey by the Thoracic Ultrasound Academy – Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine
- Case Report: Lung Ultrasound for the Guidance of Adjunctive Therapies in Two Invasively Ventilated Patients with COVID-19 – American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
- On the Impact of Different Lung Ultrasound Imaging Protocols in the Evaluation of Patients Affected by Coronavirus Disease 2019 — Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine (JUM) – Nov 24, 2020
- The Use of Contrast-enhanced Ultrasound in COVID-19 Lung Imaging – Journal of Ultrasound
- Lung ultrasound at bedside predicts COVID-19 outcomes
- Lung ultrasound spots COVID-19 in newborns By Rebekah Moan, AuntMinnie.com
- Quantitative pleural line characterization outperforms traditional lung texture ultrasound features in detection of COVID‐19 – Journal of the American College of Emergency Physicians (JACEP)
- POCUS in COVID-19 on the Ultrasound G.E.L Podcast
- WEBCAST: POCUS for COVID-19 — by Joseph Minardi, MD
This video is a brief review of the use of POCUS in patients with known or suspected COVID-19 pulmonary syndrome. It briefly covers disinfection, reviews how to perform lung ultrasound with normal findings and the findings of the disease itself.
- WEBINAR: Combating COVID-19 Together — This webinar is designed to assist healthcare professionals assess their preparedness in responding to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Emergency Resources: COVID-19 — from the Society of Critical Care Medicine (SCCM)
- COVID-19 POCUS HUB from Medstudent POCUS
- COMPLIMENTARY ONLINE TRAINING: Critical Care for Non-ICU Clinicians — Society of Critical Care Medicine’s (SCCM)
- POCUS Application in COVID-19 — from IMRESPDX created by Dr. Kevin Piro
- Guidelines for Cleaning and Preparing External- and Internal-Use Ultrasound Transducers and Equipment Between Patients as well as Safe Handling and Use of Ultrasound Coupling Gel – A statement of the American Institute for Ultrasound in Medicine (AIUM)
- WEBINAR: COVID-19 Transducer Cleaning and Personal Protective Equipment (AIUM)
- Quick Guide on COVID-19 Protections — Patient and Ultrasound Provider Protection (AIUM)
- Quick Guide on COVID-19 Protections — Ultrasound Transducers, Equipment, and Gel (AIUM)
- WEBINAR: COVID-19 Quick Guides (AIUM)
Speakers: Oliver D. Kripfgans, PhD, FAIUM; Richard Barr, MD, PhD, FAIUM, FSRU, FACR; Bryann Bromley, MS, MD; Arun Nagdev, MD
This non-CME webinar will present and discuss general guidelines for transducer and equipment cleaning and personal protective equipment (PPE) during the COVID-19 pandemic as well as implementations in areas of Radiology, Obstetrics & Gynecology, and Point-of-Care Emergency Medicine. View the Q&A with the speakers here.
- A Guide to Dress and Undress Medical Coverall – Leishen Shan Hospital, Wuhan, China
- Clinical updates for diagnostic ultrasound during coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic – American Roentgen Ray Society
Patient and visitor screening, segregation and monitoring of staff, scan vetting, strict protocol adherence help prevent nosocomial transmission of COVID-19 to frontline ultrasound service providers.
- Chinese Expert Consensus on Protection for Ultrasound Healthcare Workers against COVID-19 (Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology)